US President Donald Trump ordered that American flags be flown at half-mast following a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue that left 11 people dead. 

Us flag to be flown at half-mast after synagogue  shooting

 All flags at the White House, public grounds, military posts, naval stations and ships will be flown at half-mast until 31 October as a mark of "solemn respect" for the victims, Mr Trump ordered.

 A gunman yelling, "All Jews must die," stormed a Pittsburgh synagogue during services yesterday, killing 11 worshippers and wounding six other people including four police officers, before he was arrested.

 Robert Bowers, 46, of Pittsburgh, was taken into custody after a shootout with a police SWAT team. Federal prosecutors charged him with 29 criminal counts including violence and firearms offences, and violating US civil rights laws.

 "The actions of Robert Bowers represent the worst of humanity.

We are dedicating the entire resources of my office to this federal hate crime investigation and prosecution," US attorney for western Pennsylvania Scott Brady told reporters.

 Pittsburgh shooting Earlier, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said federal prosecutors could seek the death penalty.

 FBI special agent Bob Jones said the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which is leading the probe, said the crime scene was the worst he had seen in 22 years with the FBI.

 He said he believed Mr Bowers was acting alone, adding: "We have no knowledge that he was known to law enforcement before today."

 KDKA television cited police sources as saying Mr Bowers walked into the building and yelled, "All Jews must die".

 Mr Bowers had made many anti-Semitic posts online, including one early yesterday.

In another, he slammed Mr Trump for doing nothing to stop an "infestation" of the United States by Jews.

 Mr Jones said Mr Bowers was armed with an assault rifle and three handguns.

He said authorities believed the suspect entered the synagogue, murdered the worshippers and was leaving when he encountered a uniformed police officer.

 The pair exchanged gunfire, Mr Jones said, and Mr Bowers reentered the building before a SWAT team arrived. After a shootout, he surrendered.

 Mr Bowers was taken to a hospital where he was listed in fair condition with multiple gunshot wounds.

Victims taken to area hospitals included a 61-year-old woman, a 70-year-old man, and a 55-year-old officer.

 No children were killed, authorities said.

 Three police officers were shot and one was injured by shrapnel, authorities said.

 Two of the six people injured were in critical condition.

 Site 'used by synagogue shooter' says being forced offline A website that hosted anti-Semitic posts apparently authored by Mr Bowers said yesterday it is being forced offline following the attack.

 Gab.com, which is popular with white nationalists and members of the so-called alt-right, said its hosting provider Joyent would be suspending its services as of Monday morning, while PayPal has also reportedly banned the site.

 "Gab will likely be down for weeks because of this," the site said on its Twitter account.

 "We will continue to fight for free expression and individual liberty online for all people.

 Big tech can not stop us. The mainstream media can not stop us.

The People will defend freedom against tyranny as they always have and always will," it tweeted.

 Gab had earlier released a statement saying it had "zero tolerance" for violence or terrorism and was "saddened and disgusted by the news" from Pittsburgh

https://www.evolutionalblogs.com/p/two-2-3-odds.html
Loading...
Reactions:

Post a Comment

Your opinion counts alot, please drop your comment in the comment box below. Click Share to also get other people's opinion about this post. Thanks!

 
Top