DR Congo army overran and kills ‘dozens’ of Burundi rebels in South Kivu operation

36 Burundian rebels in a three-day operation in the eastern province of South Kivu, abutting Burundi had been killed by the Democratic Republic of Congo’s army, said in a statement on Thursday 11, April by DR Congo army. 

DR Congo army set to fire on Burundi rebels.
DR Congo army set to fire on Burundi rebels. 
Provincial army spokesperson Captain Dieudonne Kasereka said, three soldiers were killed and four were injured in the operation which targeted “positions of Burundian rebels of the National Forces of Liberation (FNL) and Republican Forces of Burundi (FOREBU).” 

He also said, two senior rebel officers were killed and the FNL’s chief, Aloys Nzabampema, was seriously hurt. 

DR Congo Troops overran rebel positions at Magunda, Ruminako and Mangwa in the Uvira region and seized “several weapons of various calibres, ammunition and much communication material,” said Kasereka.

 FOREBU mainly comprises troops and police who deserted the Burundian security forces in the aftermath of an attempted coup against Pierre Nkurunziza in 2015. It has been renamed the Popular Forces of Burundi (FPB).
The FNL is a predominantly Hutu rebel movement that has holed up in the Ruzizi plain, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, since 2009.

 The DR Congo accuses the FNL and FOREBU of colluding with local militia blamed for bloody attacks and rights abuses in the South Kivu areas of Uvira, Fizi and Mwenga.

TheDefensePost
https://www.evolutionalblogs.com/p/two-2-3-odds.html

Post a Comment

0 Comments